In 1881 the Bruin Inn was built at the base of Helen Hunt Falls. An outbuilding of the Bruin Inn was turned into a visitor center and curio shop. Being the smaller of the two facilities it became known as “The Cub.” The Cub survived the fire that destroyed the Bruin Inn. “The Cub” remained to serve as a visitor center by the falls, which were officially designated Helen Hunt Falls in 1966. Over the years the old Cub building had deteriorated badly. In 2012 the old Cub building was torn down and a new Cub built – new, but very similar in design and atmosphere to the old Cub. The grand opening was held on Sept. 8, 2012.